Monday 3 July 2017

Madhouse recipe : #KitchenClearout Salade Niçoise


This colourful, tasty salad was a result of throwing together a few things from the cupboard when it was too hot to eat what was originally pencilled in on the menu plan. Finding a tin of pilchards in the cupboard, and knowing that I had some lovely fresh green beans that I'd picked up at the local farmer's market, as well as some leftover cooked potatoes in the fridge, I decided to create a twist on Salad Niçoise. Traditionalists say that Salade Niçoise should only contain tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, olives and anchovies or tuna, but other common ingredients include potatoes, green beans, tuna, red peppers, capers and even rice.

 #KitchenClearout Salade Nicoise

ingredients :

2 leftover baked potatoes
a drizzle of garlic-infused olive oil
some blanched green beans
a tin of pilchards
some cherry tomatoes
salt, black pepper


Chop the potato into bite-sized chunks.


Put in a bowl with a drizzle of garlic-infused olive oil and toss. (I reused the pan that I had blanched the green beans in, but there is no need to cook anything !)


Add the blanched green beans - they need to stay al dente so don't overcook them. You could use tinned green beans but the flavour is nowhere near as good.


I used pilchards but any canned fish would do - tuna, mackerel, sardines, ... I drained off the tomato sauce, as it was very runny.


Add the fish to the bowl and roughly break up with a fork.

  

Throw in the halved cherry tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper, toss and serve.


Adding to this month's #KitchenClearout linky.

10 comments:

  1. Great idea to use pilchards in a twist on Nicoise salad. I think I have a tin of pilchards too somewhere in my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canned fish always comes in handy for those days when you can't be bothered to cook !

      Delete
  2. I would never have thought of throwing this lot together but it looks wonderful, I'd definitely give this a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL It can be a bit hit and miss when I start combining whatever's in the cupboard but this one definitely worked ! :)

      Delete
  3. This looks so delicious. I haven't bought Pilchards for years. A great recipe to enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They came in a foodie subscription box and have been lurking in the cupboard ever since !

      Delete
  4. The dish looks great. Amazing what you can make with what we already have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks yummy although I've never tried pilchards I do enjoy tuna cod and haddock so would love to try this xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great and quick and easy to do

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds great and quick and easy to do

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...