Tuesday 4 July 2017

Legend Press Classics collection (review)


If I asked you to name your top 5 all-time classic films or songs, I bet you could reel them off with barely a moment's hesitation, and still have a few extras to spare. But what about books? I studied English literature and French at uni but when Sophie declared, a few weeks ago, that she wanted to read some classic English and French literature during the holidays, in preparation for her studies next year, I was slightly stumped. I could rattle off a list of classic novels no problem, but finding some that she'd actually want to read as a fun experience and not because they were required coursework? Not quite so easy.

I was therefore delighted when Legend Press got in touch with news of their new Legend Classics range, dubbed "a collection of classic favourites for the modern reader". These books, so often at the centre of childhood and young adulthood, have been specially chosen to recapture that exciting nostalgia for readers new and old. The striking covers, designed by Anna Morrison, give them a modern look on your bookshelves.


So far, seven titles have been released. How many can you guess from the short descriptions?:
 A salesman is transformed into monstrous vermin, rejected by family and society.
A demonic hound stalks the bog-ridden land of Dartmoor.
Children new to Yorkshire find hope in an old gentleman on the regular 9:15 train.
Huck Finn paddles down the Mississippi.
Suez to Bombay, San Fran to New York - Phileas Fogg has 80 days to circumnavigate the globe.
Victorian society is ridiculed in the greatest comedy of manners ever written.
All the while, Alice is in a different world completely.

Did you manage to name them all? You should have found Metamorphosis, The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Railway Children, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Around the World in 80 Days, The Importance of being Earnest and, last but by no means least, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

I received a couple of the titles from the collection and it's been amazing to reread a childhood classic as a grown-up and spot so many references and allusions that went totally over my head the first time around. Legend will be adding further titles to the range in the future, which has made me wonder what else they could include. I think I'd like to see some Dickens - maybe Oliver Twist or A Christmas Carol? - and some Bronte - Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre would be good. Tess of the D'Urbervilles perhaps? I'd love to reread some Ray Bradbury too - I enjoyed Fahrenheit 451 when I was at school, along with Lord of the Flies and some American classics, such as The Color Purple or I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. All that reminiscing has just given me some great ideas for Sophie's summer reading list. Did I forget anything ?

Paperback Price: £8.99
Ebook Price: £4.99
Format: 198x129mm



5 comments:

  1. I was lucky enough to win a set of books with Legend Press on Facebook. I am actually reading Jules Verne at the moment. Fantastic collection. I love a good classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh some interring books, I love reading but with three children its hard to find time xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three children too, so I fit it in on the bus ride to and fro from work and when the kids are in bed :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...