Thursday 20 July 2017

Globecooking recipe : Mustard & Lemongrass Beef (Guadeloupe)


When I saw this recipe in my Guadeloupe-themed Kitchen Trotter box, I was dubious because I don't like hot mustard, and I wasn't sure how mustard and lemongrass would work together. It was actually delicious though, because the mustard was very mild. I would have said this has more of an Oriental feel than what I would have expected from the Antilles.


It used two ingredients from the box - mild Creole mustard and "graines à roussir".


This is a wonderfully aromatic blend of cumin, caraway, fenugreek, yellow mustard and white sesame seeds and gives an instant burst of flavour to stir fries and slow cooked stews.


Mustard & Lemongrass Beef

ingredients :

5tbsp mild Creole mustard (I used 3tbsp)
3tbsp graines à roussir (see above)
800g beef/steak, chopped into strips
4 shallots (I used 2 red onions)
a sprig of thyme
2tbsp sugar
2 stalks of lemongrass (or you can use ground lemongrass if you prefer)
3tbsp sherry vinegar (I used pomegranate vinegar)
20g butter
salt, pepper


Chop your beef into strips (I used frying steak) and fry it in the butter. Keep it quite rare as it will continue to cook later. Sprinkle over the graines à roussir and the sugar and toss the meat around to make sure it is all evenly coated. Remove the meat to a plate or separate pan (which you can use for the rice later).


In the frying pan that you just used for the meat, fry the onions/shallots - add a little butter or olive oil if necessary. Roughly chop the lemongrass and add it to the pan, along with the thyme - these will add flavour but will need to be fished out before serving.


Once the onions have gone soft and started to caramelise, put the meat back in the pan. Add the vinegar, mustard and salt and pepper and toss it all around to coat the meat and onions evenly. Cook until the meat is warmed through and cooked however you like your beef cooked. (Medium rare for me, please !)


Taste and adjust the seasoning with extra sugar, mustard or vinegar to balance out the flavours, and serve over rice.


4 comments:

  1. Looks incredible. Mouth watering. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. I love anything with mustard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. I love anything with mustard

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...