Wednesday 28 January 2015

Kids' CD review : The Pirate's Breakfast - Nick Cope


If you have under 10's, I'm sure you'll agree with me that it's often very hard to know what to play in the car on long journeys. The nursery rhyme/wheels on the bus type of CDs are fine for a while but will soon start driving you mad (especially as they get in your brain for the rest of the day, even long after you've you've arrived at your destination !) and I used to hate it when we left the radio on and the girls (in their younger years) would sing along with totally inappropriate lyrics like "don'tcha wish your girlfriend was hot like me" or "hit me baby one more time". Let me just silently scream from the front passenger seat !

Well, as I told you when I reviewed his What Colour Is Your T-shirt? CD, Nick Cope is a good compromise. He recently sent us through his new The Pirate's Breakfast CD and, even if they're probably a bit old for kids' CDs now, The Madhouse Mini-testers have been loving listening to it. Pierre in particular absolutely LOVES the (what he sees as) naughtiness of The Baby's Done A Poo.


To give you an idea, this is his face whenever he hears the immortal line "something really bad just came out of his bum" ! Oh to be five years old again !

While the lyrics will definitely appeal to the kids (Jemima the Scaredy Cat, New School, When I get Older ...), some of them seem to be speaking more to the parents (Another Day for example, where he talks about pouring another cup of tea before doing the washing up and going to work). Other songs sound a bit silly and light-hearted on the surface but have a more poignant subtext, for example, Nana's Noodles, which are impossible to replicate since she went to the Great Kitchen in the Sky. Awww.

Music wise, the acoustic backing tracks aren't at all headachey (unlike many kids' CDs) and I really like Nick Cope's voice - he reminds me of someone I used to listen to but I can't think who - Billy Bragg maybe? He has a really expressive voice - you can tell he's smiling as he's singing and that's infectious, making us laugh as we listen along too !

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £7.99


Disclosure : We received the CD in order to write an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...