Wednesday 12 November 2014

The Perfect Winter Breakfast (Ready Brek review)


A few weeks ago, the lovely people at Ready Brek asked if we'd like to try out some of their lump-free instant porridge. When the delivery man arrived, I was slightly astounded by the quantity ! Time to get testing ...


The Original Ready Brek is just the way I remember it from my own childhood. I used to love the old 70's/80's adverts promising to provide "central heating for kids" or inviting you to "get up and glow with Ready Brek". I always used to check my skin after eating a bowl to see if I was glowing orange and radiating heat like on the advert ! It never worked but it did keep me nice and warm as I wandered off to school in the rain.



I'm pretty sure Ready Brek only came in one variety when I was growing up (it did in our house anyway !) but these days, you have the choice of original,  chocolate ...



... or gingerbread. All three are very tasty, although I am rather partial to a bowl of Original Ready Brek with a swirl of Nutella, jam or honey in it too.


In each box, you get six sachets (or eight for Original) and each sachet can be used as a handy measuring device for the milk. You either put the Ready Brek and cold milk in a bowl, stir and put in the microwave for 90 seconds or you heat the milk then add it to the oats. The microwave version works very well but the bowl does get hot so make sure your kids don't grab it as soon as it pings. The Ready Brek itself is very hot too so, just like the three bears in Goldilocks, you need to leave it to cool for a few minutes before tucking in !


The oats are very fine - much finer than regular porridge - which is what gives it its unique lump-free texture.


The Madhouse kids are used to eating regular porridge so I wasn't sure what they'd think of the smoother consistency but all three varieties were a big hit. They love it for the taste and as a parent, I love it too, partly for the convenience and partly because it is the only fortified branded kids porridge available on the market. Made from wholegrain oats, a serving is high in fibre and also delivers 50% RDA of Calcium and 25% RDA of Iron and Vitamins.

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £1.99 per box (of 6 or 8 sachets, depending on variety)

Disclosure : We received the product in order to write an honest review.

Other blogposts you may be interested in :

Here's what was hiding in October's Degustabox!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...