Tuesday 29 April 2014

Madhouse recipe : Chicken & Vegetable Soup

Having invited friends over for dinner at the weekend, we had two chicken carcasses. Normally, we throw them away but I decided to try my hand at making chicken soup. It was so delicious, not to mention quick and simple, that I don't think we'll ever throw away another carcass ever again !


Chicken & Vegetable Soup

ingredients :

1 or 2 leftover chicken carcasses
1 onion
2 carrots
1 leek
2 potatoes
1 tsp onion salt
1 tbsp thyme
1 stock cube (I used a Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot)

Put the cooked chicken carcasses in a large pot and cover with boiling water. (I put enough to just cover them.) Peel and roughly chop the vegetables and throw them in the pot too. Add the seasoning and stock cube and leave to simmer for an hour.

Remove the chicken bones and liquidise the soup with a stick blender.

Absolutely delicious - I can see why people say chicken soup for the soul now !


Joining in with the No Waste Food Challenge linkie, which is being hosted by JibberJabberUK this month


Other recipes you may be interested in :

#Alphabakes meets #Randomrecipes : A is for ... Granny's Apple Shortcake

5 comments:

  1. Nothing beats a homemade chicken soup. I always make stock for the freezer with my chicken carcasses, adding a capful of apple cider vinegar to the pot as it helps leach the calcium out of the bones, enriching the stock. A lovely recipe; thanks for linking up with the #NoWasteFoodChallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks for the tip, I'll try that next time :)

      Delete
  2. I love chicken soup and this looks so easy to make

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love soups like this. I never have room in the freezer to store chicken stock but I will think about make soup out of it afterwards. Thanks for linking up with this month's No Waste Food Challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...