Monday 17 June 2013

Book review : Annabel Karmel Quick & Easy Toddler Recipes


I have to say, I really like Annabel Karmel's style of kiddie-oriented cooking, so much so that despite not having a toddler in the house any more (I can't quite believe that Pierre will be 4 years old in just a few short weeks !), I got quite excited when the opportunity arose to review her Quick & Easy Toddler Recipes book.


As I suspected, the book is a fabulous mix of toddler-oriented recipes and family faves that the kids can get involved in helping to make. Just a few of the dishes that leapt out at me as I flipped through the desserts section (is it only me that starts at the dessert recipes?!) were Sultana Drop Scones, Chocolate Raspberry Mousse, Peach & Raspberry Crumble and Caramelised Banana & Mango. One of the things I love about the book is that the recipes use mainly ingredients that you will have in the fridge or cupboard already and they are so simple, you can try them once then just incorporate them into your cooking repertoire without ever having to look up the recipe again.


I'm always inspired by Annabel's playful food presentations, having discovered it's always a great trick for getting fussy eaters to eat with gusto, so I was pleased to see that there are some fun platefuls to emulate, such as this fruit salad.


It's not all sweet treats though. These English Muffin Pizzas look great fun too and I know the Madhouse Mini-testers would love to help me get these ready for a quick tea.


The book is packed with quick, simple but healthy meals that the whole family can enjoy together, such as Cod & Salmon Fishcakes, Prawn & Noodle Laksa, Thai Noodle Soup, Mango & Apricot Chicken or Carrot, Courgette & Sweetcorn Fritters. Having received a huge box of cherry tomatoes in this week's veg box, I'll be trying out the Tagliatelle with Cherry Tomatoes, Spinach and Peas tomorrow.

It's a smallish format book (about 20cm x 20cm) which is the perfect size for browsing through with pint-sized kitchen helpers, especially as most of the recipes have brightly coloured and appetising photos of the dishes. There are 130 recipes in total, many of which can be rustled up in just a few minutes, so it's the ideal recipe book for busy parents who are short on time and looking for inspiration to get healthy meals on the dinner table.

If you like the sound of it, don't go away - I'll be back in just a minute with a giveaway where you can win three copies of the book. :)

star rating : 4.5/5

RRP : £9.99

  • Hardcover: 144 pages
  • Publisher: Ebury Press (20 Jun 2013)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0091941520
  • ISBN-13: 978-0091941529
  • Product Dimensions: 19.4 x 19.4 x 1.6 cm




Disclosure : I received a copy of the book in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

Cookery Book Review : Take A Box of Eggs

2 comments:

  1. I have 2 of her other books! Her ideas are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...