Saturday 13 October 2012

Chicken Tonight Simply Bag & Bake review



When Chicken Tonight sent me through a fabulous hamper of their goodies, I first unpacked all the jars of sauces that I was expecting, then I discovered another product that I had no idea they produced – Simply Bag & Bake.

Just like all the other brands of bag & bake products that I've tried in the past, you get a heatproof bag, an ovenproof bag-tie and a sachet of seasoning mix. I was impressed by the range of flavours available, which seemed more exotic than the usual blends I've tried in the past. You can choose between British Casserole, Spanish Chicken, Italian Chicken, French Chicken and – the one we tried first – New York BBQ Chicken Seasoning.


Each of the seasoning mixes are supposed to be mixed with chopped chicken breast and fresh vegetables, but I'm sure they'd work with other meats too – in particular pork but possibly also beef and maybe even salmon, for the tomato-based ones. I went for chicken thighs (because the kids love being allowed to eat them with their fingers) and some lovely fresh corn on the cobs from the farmers' market.


Cooking is an absolute breeze – you just throw all the ingredients in the bag, shake it up and put the bag in a roasting tin before putting the whole thing in the oven. You don't need to add any oil whatsoever so it's great if you're watching your waistline. I did find that the seasoning didn't evenly cover all of the chicken pieces but I think that's probably because I added too many corn on the cob so there wasn't enough room for the seasoning to move about freely. The flavours were nice – I'd have liked a bit more oomph but the kids loved it, which they wouldn't have done if it had had more of a kick.



I love the way it cooks by itself and the bag protects it so you don't have to keep checking it isn't going to burn. It also makes washing up a breeze – although you do need to empty the contents of the bag into a dish to serve it, there is no cooked-on grease or dried-out sauce splashes to scrub off. It's also a great timesaver if you prepare the bag in advance ready to throw in the oven when you get home from work. If you always think you haven't got time to cook from fresh or faff around with herbs and spices, this is a great short-cut.

Star rating : 4/5

RRP : £1.39 for 35g


Disclosure : I received a hamper of Chicken Tonight and Ragu products in order to write honest reviews.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

1 comment:

  1. Another thing to try! They sound nice for an easy tea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...