Wednesday 3 October 2012

Book review : The Folio Society's The Hobbit


As you'll know if you're a regular follower of this blog, I am a total bookworm and I'm pleased to see that 11-year-old Sophie is also an avid reader. When I was contacted recently by The Folio Society, who describe themselves as "a well-established book re-publisher who take classic books and republish them with unique illustrations", to see if I'd like to review one of their tomes, I was keen to see what they'd come up with. 

I had the choice of a number of classic novels : Wind In The Willows, Lord Of The Flies, All Quiet On The Western Front, Master and Margarita, Fahrenheit 451 and The Hobbit. I almost picked Lord Of The Flies because I have fond memories of studying it at school and though Sophie would enjoy the story, but in the end I went for The Hobbit, safe in the knowledge that she'll be very enthusiastic about reading it when the film comes out later in the year.


When the book arrived, I was totally wowed by it. You can't judge a book by its cover but this book is so beautiful, it's the kind of tome which reminds me why I don't want to switch over to an e-reader ! The orange hardcover has a timeless, vintage feel to it and the gold-coloured detail is stunning. I had to sit and look at it and stroke it for a couple of minutes before turning to the first page !

Inside the front cover, you get a black-and-white pen-and-ink style map which reminds me of the map I had in my childhood copy of The Hobbit. This reinforces the timeless quality of the classic book.


There weren't as many illustrations as I expected - you get one on the opening page of each chapter - but those that are there are skilfully executed with lots of detail, adding to the atmospheric descriptions in the book.


The gorgeous orange and gold cover is well protected in a sober black slipcase which will keep it in perfect condition. Just as well as this is definitely a book that you'll want to keep for generations to come.

star rating : 5/5

RRP : £27.95

Bound in paper blocked in gold with a design by Francis Mosley.
Set in Fournier with Omnia display.
Illustrated by Eric Fraser.
Book size: 9" x 5¾", 248 pages.



Disclosure : I received a copy of the book in order to write an honest review.

Other reviews you may be interested in :

Book review : Sworn Secret - Amanda Jennings

4 comments:

  1. I feel like I missed out on a bit of childhood that I've never read The Hobbit, or Lord Of The Rings, come to that. These are things I should change, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always wait until the film comes out ! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the Hobbit being one of the first "proper" books I read when I was about 10 and I loved it then. I can't wait to try it on GG...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son loved the "Hobbit" I read it as well it is such a Magical book I am looking forward to the film.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...